
As I was sitting in church I hear the ringtone for the iphone go off. Another ten minutes passes and I hear another cell phone start singing the lyrics to todays most popular song. As I sat there and thought to myself seriously can these people not go without their cell phones for 3 hours...? Then I look down at my lap to see my iPad... oh yeah I guess I can't be so quick to judge. Technology is always evolving, making it easier and quicker for us to do our daily tasks and also giving some added entertainment to our lives as well.
Obsession is how I see that technology has become the driving force to our lives. Most of society is making sure that they are up to date with the newest and latests gadgets from iPads, the phone you use and the car you drive. "Pew Research found that half of American adults own a smart phone and that the rate of ownership is expanding quickly in every age cohort except those 65 and older." Every one has a cell phone. As nice as they are I think this is almost the root of the obsession. The root as I see it is the internet. Being able to have instant access to most of life necessities in the palm of your hand has developed the need it now generation.
The thought of being without our technology for 48 hours makes us cringe and miss it already. The thought of not knowing whats going on, not being to call our roommate the instant we forgot something at the house, not being able to look at the weather for the day, seeing how much money is in your bank account, getting a text when your prescription is ready, what will we do?! The withdrawals I will most likely being going through are that of someone who is addicted or obsessed with something. When did I become this way? This realization of my obsession with technology makes me believe that I am no longer in the drivers seat. I am sitting in the backseat of a car, being taken to an unknown destination in a car which I can't see out of the windows.
Source:
http://business.time.com/2012/06/22/how-smart-phones-are-changing-the-way-we-bank-and-drive/#ixzz2JKg3Gcfq
No comments:
Post a Comment