http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/
What this quote is saying is true though. If you are human and have any sort of compassion you don't like seeing human lives taken. Going back almost exactly six years ago I remember a mass murder shooting that happened way to close to home. The Trolley Square shooting happened fifteen minutes from where I lived and it was a place that I frequently went to eat or shop. I remember watching it on the news. There were no live twitter updates or facebook posts about it. Social media has completely changed the face of how we get our news and how often we can access it. Social media has it positives and its negatives as well. Yes the accessibility to the information at all parts of the day is nice. But some people do not know how to filter themselves and to filter what other people are saying. We are all entitled to free speech and our own opinions.
Going to the Sandy Hook elementary shooting there was a viral facebook and twitter quote that went around supposedly from an actor but all the same I think the point was made.
|
I think this comment says a lot. How the news portrays the different killers of each killing. A lot of people wonder how could someone do that or why would someone do that. If the killer is dead we will always wonder that question and everything that is said about it is for our own piece of minds in the end it all is just speculation.
Times have changed since the second amendment was written. Guns today are not what they used to be. Why do people need an AR-15? For fun? For protection? I understand the constitutional right to bear arms. But why semi-automatic weapons? Why is giving up or putting laws and restrictions on guns a bad thing? We have laws about people who can drive cars, we have laws about people using drugs and alcohol. Theses are all things that can take the lives of other people. What is wrong with putting better restrictions on guns? On the flip side of this you see people breaking law to be an underaged drinker or to buy illegal drugs. With putting laws and restrictions on guns would it make regular everyday people go out of their way to get their hands on a gun? The era of prohibition only worked for twelve or so years and then the bans on alcohol were lifted. Yes alcohol and drugs are probably a slower way of dying or killing someone but guns are in the category of taking another persons life.
I think we are at the turning point of gun control and something needs to change. I find myself trying to keep up with all of the different shooting sprees that are happening.
No comments:
Post a Comment