Tuesday, April 2, 2013

48 hours.... Almost

Before you start reading this it reads like a journal entry so if you want to skip to the bottom and I give my main points from my media fast.


Ok this past weekend I decided to do my 48 hours of no iPad, smart phone, Macbook or Apple TV. I thought this weekend would be perfect to do it because my fiance and I were headed up to Salt Lake City to be with family. This way I wouldn't have to worry about figuring out when was good to come over, getting in touch with him or my family. But then plans changed he got sick and we no longer decided to go up to SLC. I wanted to get this 48 hours over with so I decided to keep with it. My plan was to start at 5 pm on Friday and end Sunday at 5 pm. So right before, I told my parents that if they needed to get in touch with me to call Blake. Which in the beginning Blake had little faith that I could go without my phone or iPad because my life is with them. He knows how much I like Instagram, candy crush and my icalendar. Before 5 o'clock hit I had an all out media binge where I just played as much candy crush as it would let me and looked all over Pinterest and Instagram before I said good bye to them. Looking back it is kind of sad that I would miss them that much which made me feel inclined I had to get my fix before starting.

Friday Night: Friday turned out to not be so bad. I kept my phone off and left it in my car. I noticed that I had no clue on what time it was. This proved to be one of the most difficult parts because my phone is my alarm in the mornings. Blakes family was in town so we mostly played games and hot tubbed that night making it pretty easy for me to not have my phone and think about it. I noticed I missed my phone during the down moments of in between games or going places.

Saturday: I woke up on my own fairly early which was good. We kept ourselves busy that day with going out to lunch, going to the arts festival, making chocolate dipped marshmallow eggs with his family and then going out and having a bonfire that night. So most the day I didn't notice no phone until I wanted to take pictures or use my phone for a flashlight or to call my friends to invite them. It made me realize all the different tasks I use my phone for. When I got home that night Blake gave me permission to use my phone to call him to make sure I was home alright. Well I didn't stop there... For about an hour I played candy crush and pinterest. Then I felt guilty and stopped.

Sunday: Sunday was a busy day filled with breakfast with Blakes family, church to watch my roommates speak, then a nap followed by Easter dinner with family. I ended up going until 7 pm that night because I felt bad for cheating the night before. Once I got my phone back Blake kept telling me to get off it.


I know this reads like a journal but the main points are:

1. I kept myself busy
2. I realized how many different tasks I use my phone for
3. I cheated
4. I went 48 hours-1 hour (cheating) + 2 extra hours
5. I love technology and how accessible and easy it makes my life.
6. I love always being able to have a camera with me.
7. The fast was good for me

No comments:

Post a Comment