Monday, April 29, 2013

The Boston Marathon and Social Media: Response

The Boston Marathon bombing was a tragedy and lives were lost and many people were injured. I don't think that any certain amount of people killed outweighs the significance of another mass murder. It really is amazing how fast word travels with social media today. We knew about the bombings in Boston moments after they happened via Twitter. I think social media is a great tool but some people miss use it. Some people believe that a lot of these bombers are doing it for the attention that they receive after these mass murders happen. They are highly publicized and receive a lot of attention many weeks after they happen. 

I am not saying these events shouldn't be publicized. I feel it is important for the American people to stay aware of what is going on. But to what extent should they be talked about? I don't like looking at the news anymore because of how awful everything is. I feel that there is nothing happy reported on anymore. A classmate did an interesting study on if media has a negative bias to it and after her research it does. On a good day three of a papers top ten headlines will be something other than a negative. 

I read a quote on the boston marathon tragedy that i really liked by Patton Oswalt, "The good outnumber you, and we always will." I really like this because it is true no matter how many bad people there are it won't even come close to the people that are in this world. To ready his full quote you can find it here: 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patton-oswalt/patton-oswalt_b_3088337.html

No comments:

Post a Comment