Monday, April 29, 2013

New Media and PR: Response

Social Media is quickly if not already the biggest and newest area of marketing. The other night I was talking to my friends dad who is about to open up a new mechanic shop. He knows that I am graduating with my mass communication major and wanted to talk to me about social media and his marketing strategies.

I told him the benefits of having a Facebook page, a twitter account and then he was also interested in a blog as well. Talking over with him he was telling me what his marketing guy had explained to him so far. With him trying to market to a younger demographic then usual for a mechanic shop he knows that these types of marketing tools can be the most effective. I also was sure to explain to him how he might not realize it but managing all of those accounts can be a full time job in itself. He also mentioned pinterest and instagram for his shop.

I was surprised at the information he knew about all of these new social media tools. The more I talked to him about all the benefits the more he realized the many different options he had and benefits he would be gaining by having these social media tools. I think that if you are using them correctly then it is an ok way to do public relations. I think that to often people get to comfortable with twitter and facebook and post their life stories on it and just complain all the time. Which is one of the reasons I rarely get on facebook now. 

I think that as long as a company sets out to do what they need to do to keep their brand name out there and in the minds of the consumers then it is ok to do this kind of marketing. When they act like teenagers and put ridiculous posts then I believe they have gotten to far into the social media trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment